When we began to compile our top stories of 2020, our first thought was, “Is 2020 a year we want to relive at all?” Marked by the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the year has been challenging in many ways. However, it’s through the hardships that we often find opportunities for growth and glimmers of hope for what’s to come.
This year, we celebrated a major safety milestone. We broke ground and cut ribbons on major projects. We made an unlikely business partner while working to keep our employees safe and healthy. And, perhaps the biggest cause for celebration, 19 staff members reached milestone anniversaries totaling 320 years. Here are the top stories of the past year, as determined by page visits:
- Dairy Central’s Residential Component Breaks Ground: KBS has broken ground on the residential portion of the master planned Dairy Central development in Charlottesville. The project will add 180 urban apartment homes to the development anchored by the historic Monticello Dairy building at Grady and Preston Avenues.
- KBS Completes Second Expansion for Virginia War Memorial: On February 29, the Virginia War Memorial celebrated its expansion with a ribbon cutting ceremony. Often viewed as the preeminent state memorial honoring veterans in the U.S., the expansion provides space to honor U.S. soldiers who died in the Global War on Terror. The ceremony was held on the 64th anniversary of the memorial’s first dedication in 1956.
- Pandemic Brings Together Unlikely Business Partners: As KBS works to keep employees safe and essential operations running during the COVID-19 pandemic, we found an unlikely business partnership with Reservoir Distillery. Reservoir, located just five miles from KBS’s Richmond headquarters, is one of many distillers stepping up in the fight against the virus, using their alcohol supply to produce hand sanitizer.
- KBS Reaches Safety Milestone: KBS’s Safety Team is very proud to announce that we have recently surpassed 500,000 man-hours worked without an OSHA recordable incident.
- KBS Honors Staff Service Awards Totaling 320 Years: The COVID-19 pandemic may prevent us from gathering as a group, but it cannot keep us from celebrating the long-term dedication of our staff. In 2020, we honor 19 employees with a combined total of 320 years of service to KBS. We are truly fortunate to have so many dedicated employees who contribute to the success of KBS.