The renovation of the Consolidated and Carolina Buildings is a part of the rebirth of Richmond’s historic Tobacco Row. This adaptive reuse project involved converting two former masonry, steel and wood framed tobacco warehouse properties into 158 luxury apartments. These buildings were used for manufacturing, retail and storage for nearly eight decades.
The three-story Carolina Building was built in 1897 and the six-story Consolidated Building was originally constructed in the 1920’s. The facade of a third building, located between the two apartment buildings, was preserved and its lot was transformed into a courtyard that includes a swimming pool. The facility also features a parking garage, fitness center and upscale retail space on the first floor.